Additional Cabinets and Doors

jc_veecabsMoving from a 26′ Nordic Tug to a 32′ was a real delight for us. But we missed the door access and the shelf for the lockers under the vee berth. As built, our new 32 had a cavernous locker on the port side with access only from the top (under the bunk). The starboard side had drawers but no other access.

We studied the area and took measurements, deciding the height including the frame would be 21″ for all three proposed doors. The two doors on the port side were easy to plan since the top access gave us “inside” information. The planning for the door on the starboard side took more effort. Taking out the drawers and using a flashlight and mirror, we could see that the area forward of the drawers was sufficient for storage.

jc_portveelockerLooking through woodworking catalogs, we found the router bits that the Nordic Tug factory used as well as the European finger pull bit used to make the opening recess. We found the Perko hinges and catches in BoatU.S. and West Marine catalogs. We had some 1/4″ double-sided teak plywood for the door panels left over from another project. BoatUS had the teak lumber for the frames and door edges. We had a table saw and a router, but we needed a router table. We also needed those expensive router bits.

jc_shoelockerThe measurements would be the same for each outer frame. The frames for the doors (I called them rails) would also be consistent, as was the height. The ony different measurement was the width. By creating a spreadsheet in Excel, I made all the dimensions for one of the doors and simply plugged in different widths. By setting up formulas, the spreadsheet automatically calculated the cut dimension for each piece of wood. The table below shows the exact cuts needed, along with the pieces needed for a fourth door under the portside PH seat.

The Woodworker’s Club in town had a router table I could use and would buy the router bits and keep them in their inventory at no cost to me. I bought time at the club by the hour.

When all the pieces were cut, I assembled them, using glue only at the ends of the rails so that the panels would float. Bette did the finish work, ultimately sanding with 400 grit, using Daley’s teak oil and the procedure recommended by Nordic Tug (and recently reviewed in their newsletter). Our new cabinet doors look and feel just like all the other doors.

As a final step, we made a shelf in each area, covered with inexpensive carpet from Home Depot and edged with teak rails from BoatUS.

jc_cabinetdoorstable

Ruth Jansson & Bette Conner
Annie B – NT 32-172
JansCon@aol.com

Leave a Reply